POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 3dstudiomax -> povray : Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray
From: Lance Birch
Date: 30 Sep 1999 10:00:19
Message: <37f36cf3@news.povray.org>
> I don't really believe in the title "artist" when it comes to packages as
> 3ds and the likes. I might sound arrogant, but with too much freedom, you
> loose your horizon. As I have said, what would the pictores of Rembrandt
> look like if he used 3ds, photoshop or similar? What would Bach sound like
> if he had an electric guitar and a sequencer? It's the marginal resources
> that bring forth the creative nature of the human. With small resources
you
> are forced to think in lesser terms.
>
> Simen.

Ahh... but wait a second, we're talking different mediums here.  You can't
make an image like that of a painting in Photoshop, it's not superior in the
first place!  You chose the tool that you need to do what you want.  And
please don't confuse 3DS with 3DS MAX, they are completely different
products and MAX is far superior to 3DS DOS.

> look like if he used 3ds, photoshop or similar? What would Bach sound like
> if he had an electric guitar and a sequencer? It's the marginal resources

What you're doing is trying to define art, which you can't.  You see
something that is created digitally could be considered art, and something
created with traditional media could be art, but the two are not the same.
Artists use the tools that they are comfortable with.  Bach wouldn't have
liked the sounds produced with a synth I'd suspect anyway, just like
Leonardo de Vinci wouldn't like these things called "pixels" over his oil
paint.

As another example, I can't draw for peanuts!  But I can do things in
Photoshop and MAX that I consider to be art.  I know a friend that is
brilliant at trad. art, but terrible at digital art, and yet I'm terrible at
trad. art!  We're opposites in that respect but we'd both like to be able to
do what the other can!

To so that using a product like 3DS MAX isn't being artistic is like saying
that someone that uses a specific type of traditional media isn't being
artistic (like, for example, saying that people that use pencil aren't being
artistic when people that use oil paints are)