POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 3dstudiomax -> povray : Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray
From: Lance Birch
Date: 29 Sep 1999 21:25:09
Message: <37f2bbf5@news.povray.org>
OK, the way it works is that each light you place in the scene has its own
options and switches like "Affects diffuse" and "Affect specular" and these
can be switched on and off.  Each light also has a section in it which
allows you to move objects from the "affected" zone to the "non-affected"
zone so that the light only affects certain objects.  Or, to put it another
way, if you wanted a light to affect all objects except for one, you place
that object in the second pane and switch on the "exclude" option.

Also, you can make any light only affect certain objects by illumination, or
by casting shadows, or by both.

It wouldn't be too hard to impliment into the Superpatch I'd think... the
diffuse/specular might be a bit more difficult but it would only mean
excluding a certain surface(?) or texturing calculation.

I might put up a page soon that shows some of the MAX features like the
lighting to give you a better (and at least more visual) understanding of
the way you can assign the lights to objects etc.