POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 3dstudiomax -> povray : Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 29 Sep 1999 15:00:01
Message: <37f261b1@news.povray.org>
I agree with most of what you're saying, but in my view, I am more satisfied
with am image created "by hand." I have no ambitions of making it into the
movie industry, and quite frankly, most of what I see amateurs make in 3ds
is quite boring. Everyone wants to put as much in the image as they can. As
I see it, your imagination gets crippled. Lens-flares, all those standard
effects; everyone can do it. But create an interesting image in POV-ray; an
original one, with you own inventions. Ahh, that feeling I wouldn't trade
for all the gold in the world!

Power means not as much as your creative side. You might argue that more
power might boost your imagination, but that is not entirely true. Do you
think Beethoven's or Bach's music would be so great if they had
synthesizers? Or would the paintings of Van Gogh be as great if he had the
power of photoshop or the likes? Most masterworks are created with marginal
resources. Computer games were best in the eighties, I say.

Simen.