POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media and Opposite Colors : Re: Media and Opposite Colors Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media and Opposite Colors
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 29 Sep 1999 14:45:21
Message: <37f25e41@news.povray.org>
I agree, but there is one fact that has to be made clear, and that is that
many colors are "standarized". I believe (but are not sure) that the colors
in "colors.inc" is taken from the international catalog, which states what
blending of frequencies to use for a specific colour. There are standards to
what one should call "aquamarine", "azure" and so forth. "Blue" and "green"
are more diffuse in the meaning. Many would for example say that the sky is
blue, but that might not be the correct technical term to use. I am not very
bewandered with this; i just happen to know the story behind, if you see
what I mean.

Just another point. A curious fact that I guess you are aware of: Many
colors cannot even be displayed on a computer screen, even with 500 billion
zillion shades of red, green and blue, merely because the human eye can
percieve many more colors. For example, if you have a yellow marking pen and
try to recreate the color on the screen, you'll be dissappointed. If you
scan it you might not even see it!

In the future I think we will get new computer screens wich cover more of
the human eyes capability to see colors. Maybe POV-ray should be able to
extend the usual color-system. One could add infra-red channels, for
example. (We cannot see those frequencies, but they might have scientifical
importance. Who knows.)

Simen.