POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 3dstudiomax -> povray : Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 29 Sep 1999 07:01:15
Message: <37f1f17b@news.povray.org>
I read your post with interest, I must say. I am personally a poor student,
and cannot afford something like 3D-studio MAX. (My interest for
three-dimensional visualisation is mre based on the technical, too.)
Therefore, I have been using POV-ray for about four years and is quite happy
with it.

You are perfectly right when you say that you gain a lot by having 3dsmax,
but what is the gain compared to the price? In my opinion, POV-ray is *much*

download POV-ray?

And there is a subtle difference between 3DS and POV that is important: POV
is based on *models* of mathematical objects: A sphere *is* an exact sphere;
so is a cylinder, torus, and so forth. In polygon-based rendering systems
you only have *approximations* of the object. It's easy too observe a
polygon-based sphere, i.e. a polyhedron, as opposed to a ray-traced sphere
when you've seen it enough!

I agree that the texture definition in POV-ray is too simplistic. There are
several additions that I believe would not be a too big wish.

1. Additive/subtractive procedural textures. In the current release of
POV-ray we have the ability to combine textures in some simple ways. But
what if you coud use something like:

normal {
    bumps*0.4 + ripples*0.6 - sin(crackle * 2*pi)
}

I would define this as the addition of bumps, ripples and the subtraction of
a sine, with argument taken from cracle. Is far as I know, the textures are
defined in 3-space, resulting in a single float value. Then this would not
be too difficult to implement.

By adding several ripples, for example:
ripples + abs(sin(ripples*2*pi))
would generate a heave weather storm ocean surface!

The procedural texture definition would of course also give meaning with
pigment, finish et.c.

2. User defined proceural surfaces. The user should be able to define
something like:

pigment {
    use_procedural sin(y) * cos (x) + x*y*sin(z);
    color_map {
    }
}

(The syntax is merely illustrative.)

You take the 3-space coordinates of the surface point, and apply the

Many of the built-in textures could be rewritten:

onion = sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z) mod 1.
wood = sqrt(x*x+y*y) mod 1
gradient = y mod 1

et.c.

About the rendering time, I am not sure. How long would it take to render
1.2 million spheres in 3ds? I've done it in POV-ray, and it takes about 2
minutes. Remember that each sphere should be an *exact* mathematical model.
In 3ds you would use perhaps twenty polygons for a small sphere. That
becomes a massive 24 million polygons, which naturally is much less
effective use of memory and rendering time. A sphere in POV-ray uses about
as much power from the computer, both in memory and rendering time, as a
polygon. This was just an example; I'm sure there are more.

Lance Birch skrev i meldingen <37f0cfd5@news.povray.org>...