POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: TonyB
Date: 28 Sep 1999 20:48:08
Message: <37f161c8@news.povray.org>
>It's especially easy to install Linux on a computer when you have a
>seperate HD at hand.

Great... even if it will be the slave HD?

>Then you prepare several partitions (SuSE has a GUI for it) for
>LINUX on the HD, which should be documented in the docs of the
>distribution and format the HD.

OK, so why do I need several partitions, and how many shall I need?

>After that Xwindows needs to be configured (the second
>big step for newbies).

Could you elaborate more on this? I've also heard of Gnome and KDE. Are
these better than XWindows?

>If you can get help from a friend who has done this before ask his.

I have the e-mail of some guy who lives in Panama and that has used Linux
since his days in college in the 60s (he must be old...), but I don't feel
like having a complete stranger come over.

>Otherwise read the manual carefully. I know many people dislike SuSE but
>at least their manual (in german) has allways been good.

My aquaintance (with Mandrake) used SuSE before.

>This is a rough outline of the work to do.
>You can configure the computer in a way that if you say nothing WIN98
>will be booted and Linux only when you wish to boot it. Very helpful
>when you have a wife like mine :-)

=) I've read something about that. Isn't that LILO? Can I also use the Boot
Manager from Partition Magic?

>I don't know Mandrake but heard nothing bad about it!

I hear it is basically a derivative of the RedHat distribution.

>All the Best and don't *bother* to ask further questions,

But I need to ask more... :(  I know so little...