POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Crossposting (was Re: I highly doubt that anything that I've written is "spam" ...) : Re: Solaris 7 and ongoing support of Pov-Ray versions ... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solaris 7 and ongoing support of Pov-Ray versions ...
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Sep 1999 09:42:10
Message: <37cfd032@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:26:13 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.
>
>--------------msFE68DA7EBF8D41907B9C7935
>
>Ken wrote:
>
>>  The issue is not so much one of just getting someone to compile the most
>> recent version and pop it onto the pov home page. Once they decide they
>> will add support for a new platform they obligate themselves not only to
>> the end user but also ethically to themselves to continue support for that
>> platform. Just about anyone with access to a Sparc, UltraSparc can throw
>> together a working compile of Pov but who is going to continue supporting
>> that platform ?
>
>What difference does it make?   Really?  Ask that question out loud and then go look
at
>the "Official SunOS binaries" on the www.povray.org website.  While you are there,
look at
>the text on the page ...  "SunOS version (version 3.02, not yet updated to 3.1)".

Actually, there's another reason the team can't just get someone to build
a SunOS version and send it to them: it might not be just a straightforward
compile.  There might be problems with the port that would need to be
resolved by someone who understands the OS it's running on.  I seem to
recall that the team was looking for a member who could do SunOS work
about a year ago, long before I was asked to join.  The lack of a current
SunOS version is not for lack of _wanting_ one, it's for lack of someone
who was willing to commit to the amount of very real work that's required
to build a working version and stand behind it.

>Again, ask the question.  What difference does it make if you support the build on
Solaris
>at all.  It is NOT supported now.  There has not been an official release of POV-Ray
for
>Sun Solaris in how long?  A year?  Two?  The current version for SunOS or UNIX on the
>"Official" POV-Ray web site is so out of date that I am surprised that it is there at
all.

There are still 3.0 and earlier versions for other operating systems too.  Just
because they're obsolete doesn't mean they're any less official.

>This is lip-service.  There is no need to buy a HP9000 system to build POV-Ray for
HPUX.
>There is no need to buy a Sun Ultra 2300 for UltraSparc and Solaris 8.  (The
pre-release
>for Solaris 8 is out)  Look at the size and number of the POV-Ray user community.  I
would
>hazard to guess that most POV-Ray users are serious computer professionals.  How do
you
>think that Linux bacame what it is today?  By allowing many people to participate in
the
>open source concept and by using the talents of your vast user community.

True, to a point.  If you want to build the current source and contribute any
source patches back to the team, there's nothing keeping you from doing that.
There's also nothing keeping you from compiling a custom version and
distributing it.  But I hope you understand how someone wouldn't want to stand
behind and support a distribution that they couldn't even run, let alone test.

>> Chris Cason supports
>> the windows version and probably the dos version as well, Thorsten Frolich

Actually, Ken, I believe Chris Young is in charge of the DOS version.

>If anyone wants my build, they can send an email and ask for it.  No problem.

If it's not too big, I'd be happy to host a binary on my website, such as it
is.

>  Long term support is a myth.  It is a lie that marketing people say to customers
just
>before they drop the technology.  Welcome to modern business.

That's one of the differences between business and open source, isn't it?

>I may be dead next week.  I may step out in front of a truck.  Any organization of
people
>that depends on a few individuals to maintain a product, is doomed.

Even if the entire POV-Team got wiped out tomorrow in some global catastrophic
accident, I'm sure someone dedicated could sort out the resulting minor legal
mess and carry on the work.  But there's a kernel of truth to what you say: as
I understand it, the reason there's not a 3.1 SunOS build is that the person on
the team who was doing SunOS left to pursue other interests.  Last I heard, the
position was still open.

Also, I get the impression that you think I'm speaking for the team here.  While
I'm a member of the team, I don't presume to speak for them.  That's Chris
Young's job.  I'm just stating my opinions, which would be roughly the same even
if I weren't a member of the team.