POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : new question : Re: new question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new question
From: Alan Kong
Date: 25 Aug 1999 22:30:17
Message: <37c8a3ea.676675326@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:52:22 -0500, "Bob Hughes" <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote:

>I'm still curious, what would virtual memory do in a RAM drive then,
>anyone know? Start using the disk drive as RAM? Oops, it already does
>that (half in jest here).

  If this is possible I don't think there is anything to be gained by doing
so. If a swap file is created then POV-Ray needs more RAM. I'd just let
Windows manage the swap file. Better yet, if POV-Ray parses a scene that
uses up conventional RAM and starts hitting the swap file, get more RAM as
long as one's wallet holds out.

  I used to create RAM drives in DOS, also, Bob. It would often work
beautifully and noticeably faster, too. I am only talking about tiny
applications running in a total of 640k RAM on an old 8088, though.

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get