POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : need help : Re: need help Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: need help
From: Scott Hill
Date: 24 Aug 1999 09:06:42
Message: <37c298e2@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <Chr### [at] compuservecom> wrote in message
> There are no programs that will convert from POV to anything, at least
> not for the current version. The reason is that such a program would
> have to parse the entire POV language, which might be difficult to do
> with things like loops, macros, etc. Not impossible, just more than
> anyone has wanted to do.

    I'm always amazed when people say this - think about it - how does _POV_
construct it's internal model of the scene ? It _parses the entire_ POV
language. I.e. It's not impossible and it's not even that difficult (getting
it running at a reasonable speed, now that _is_ difficult).

    I don't know why no one has wanted to do it before (and even that's not
entirely true), in my book it's a necessary feature for _any_ POV based
modeller.

    Oh, and (for those who haven't seen me plug this before), Pandora's Box
(my, oh so long in development, may never even get finished, so don't hold
your breath, POV Modelling suite) will (of course) use .POV scripts as a
native file format (it'll read 'em, write 'em and even let you edit 'em).
--
Scott Hill : sco### [at] cyberlifecouk
Software Engineer (and all round nice guy)

"We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is." - The
Fox TV network.