POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media and Opposite Colors : Re: Media and Opposite Colors Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media and Opposite Colors
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 28 Sep 1999 08:03:57
Message: <37F0AEF1.A59057DA@xs4all.nl>
Ken wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
>
> > Cyan is the opposite of red.
>
> Cyan = opposite of red = ok fine by me.
>
> Thank you for your assistance gentlemen.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
> 1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

That depends. In rgb-calculations cyan is the opposite of red, if for instance
you were using another hightech multimedia-tool like for instance fingerpaint
you'd have green as the opposite of red.
This is part of a list that seems rather inconsistent in rgb-vectors:
red    <-> green   <1,0,0> <-> <0,1,0>
blue   <-> orange  <0,0,1> <-> <1,.5,0>
yellow <-> purple  <1,1,0> <-> <1,0,1>

And even then this is just an arbitrary definition of these colors (is purple
really <1,0,1> or perhaps <.5,0,1>?).

There's no cyan here, nor fuchsia or whatever.
Also with fingerpaint adding more paint doesn't make the color brighter.

This gives you the impression that this way of working with colours is a bit
retarded, but still, that's how it was done for centuries?
Of course rgb is based on a more scientific interpretation of the behaviour of
light. Fortunately art (?) needn't be dictated by science.

Just my 2 eurocents...

Remco