POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : long render time : Re: long render time Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: long render time
From: Ken
Date: 4 Sep 1999 09:58:37
Message: <37D1253B.2AE3782E@pacbell.net>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Thanks guys
>
> No I'm not using media.  Actually I,ve got a pile of books to read.
>
> It's now 17hrs in and speeding up so a 20 hour render seems likely - not so
> bad!
>
> I did wonder about manually bounding the objects? might that help?
>
> Mick

Bounding may help as well as trying to use large scaled boxes as well. A
box acts like a plane of sorts when specified like this:

box { <-22000,0,-22000>, <22000,0,22000> }

Notice how there is no scale given in the box's y direction ?
It works well and has the advantage that automatic bounding is
very effecient for the box object. Also you will have a problem
with Pov if you try to add manual bounding to a union of planes
because Pov will simply remove the manual bounding unless you
turn bounding off. This may cause the rest of your scene to take
even longer to render and the savings for the planes being bounded
may become moot. 22 hrs for a Pov scene to render is not all that
uncommon and who said raytracing was fast anyway ?

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: