POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Crossposting (was Re: I highly doubt that anything that I've written is "spam" ...) : Re: Solaris 7 and ongoing support of Pov-Ray versions ... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solaris 7 and ongoing support of Pov-Ray versions ...
From: Ken
Date: 3 Sep 1999 02:40:27
Message: <37CF6D0A.16854977@pacbell.net>
Dennis Clarke wrote:

> So why not simply ask me to compile the code for you on the Sparc, UltraSparc
> and x86 platforms and then you can post the binaries as official on the povray
> web site and be up to date.  I can not understand why you ( the Pov-Ray team )
> would not simply get a reasonable consultant to do the compile for you and then
> post the binaries in the same way that Linux is posted.  Up to date.  The
> absence of a decent UNIX ( other than Linux ) just screams a simple message.
>You can guess the message.
>
> Dennis Clarke

 The issue is not so much one of just getting someone to compile the most
recent version and pop it onto the pov home page. Once they decide they
will add support for a new platform they obligate themselves not only to
the end user but also ethically to themselves to continue support for that
platform. Just about anyone with access to a Spacr, UltraSparc can throw
together a working compile of Pov but who is going to continue supporting
that platform ?
  The pov team members that offer platform support cannot afford to go out
and buy a system for each platform they wish to offer. Chris Cason supports
the windows version and probably the dos version as well, Thorsten Frolich
(sorry if I misspelled that) is in charge of maintaining the Mac version,
and Mark Gordon has ownership of supporting the unix version. If you are
offering long term dedicated support for a Sparc compile of the program they
may listen to you but unless there are a lot of people begging for it you
will most likely find it a better option to go ahead and maintain your own
unofficial compile. Then advertise it's existence here on the news groups
with a link to your page where it can be downloaded.
 The Pov team, from what I understand, all have made long term commitments
to the life of this program and support for individual platforms requires
dedicated individuals willing to stay with it for the long term. Your kind
offer to compile a working version from the current source code only indicates
that you can compile it but does not show them that you are willing to
maintain that in the next revision and the next version and into the next
century. A review or the POV Legal documentation might also help clarify the
teams position on these issues.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: