POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : LEDs : Re: LEDs Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LEDs
From: John VanSickle
Date: 22 Aug 1999 15:16:15
Message: <37C04FA6.1696BF97@erols.com>
Roger Orchard wrote:

> Can some one help me?
>
> I have a case, with holes for some LEDs in it.
>
> I can put a light under the hole, so it looks like the LED.
>
> What I want to do is group the light with the case.
>
> IE so it is a part of the
> #declare case_a =
> union {
> .
> .
> .
> }

I simulated LEDs in my Rusty character.  If you download the source
archive from my July 1999 IRTC entry, there are a couple files that
make use of simulated LEDs.  The source archive is here:

  http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/anims/1999-07-15/boxer.zip

The files that you'll want are:

  rusty.inc (describes the character Rusty)
  boxer.inc (decsribes the character Boxer)
  rusty_l.inc (defines which of Rusty's LEDs are lit at any given time)
  boxer_l.inc (ditto for Boxer)

I believe that I used a union of spheres, and then applied an
emitting media as the interior for the entire union, although for
test animations I used a solid texture with a high ambient value.

Using a light_source for each LED is a bad idea, because that will
vastly increase your rendering time, and as a rule LEDs don't cast
enough light to create shadows.

Hope this helps,
John
--