POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Orthographic Oddity : Re: Orthographic Oddity Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orthographic Oddity
From: Ken
Date: 7 Aug 1999 21:00:06
Message: <37ACD5C9.FAD49AE5@pacbell.net>
Chris Colefax wrote:

> Ken wrote:
> >
> > In the following bit of code the scene renders as expected when the
> ortographic
> > camera type is commented out. When it is used however the pattern on the z
> axis
> > plane continues uninterrupted on the y axis plane as if the pattern were
> applied
> > to both. Why ?
>
> The orthographic camera traces rays parallel to the viewing direction, in
> this case +z.  Your floor plane also lies in this direction (and its surface
> is infinitely thin), so none of the camera rays will actually intersect it.
> What you are seeing is the shadow of the floor plane, cast on to your wall -
> the high ambient value of your wall pattern makes it look like a reflection
> of sorts.

That is what I suspected but there is still something not quite right in the
explanation. If it
were a reflection of sort the pattern where it intersects
the y axis plane should be a mirror of the z axis plane. Instead I am seeing
a contiguous pattern emerging that defies the explanation you are giving.
I am sure it has much to do with the parallel rays of the camera type but
I am expecting different results. The wall as you put it is the plane with
the pattern applied to it and the "floor" has a simple white pigment attached
to it with it's own finish statement. Oh well back to the perspective camera :)

--
Ken Tyler

Older   Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm
Updated Links Page: http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/bkmrk999.htm