POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : camera math help please : Re: camera math help please Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: camera math help please
From: Steve
Date: 25 Jul 1999 07:37:01
Message: <379AF853.E09ACD5E@puzzlecraft.com>
It's actually pretty simple. At zero degrees latitude the camera is
level at zero degrees rotation. The camera sits on the surface at the
radius of the sphere. If the camera is moved to 30 degrees latitude it
should be rotated 30 degrees to remain level with the horizon. As the
camera moves in longtitude it is rotated around the y-axis.

This is the same problem as polar aligning an equatorial telescope
mounting for astrophotography.

However, in POV-Ray we are not restricted to real-world constraints and
so we can avoid spherical navigation altogether by locating the camera
at the north pole and the rotating the sphere while the camera remains
stationary.

steve