POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Infinite cones : Re: Infinite cones Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite cones
From: Ken
Date: 23 Jul 1999 00:42:01
Message: <3797F20F.EB1F050@pacbell.net>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:01:24 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >  I have had signifigant success manualy bounding certain types of csg
> >operations. Particularly an object or group of objects created within
> >a loop and then a csg applied to the that or during the loop. I have
> >seen as much as a 50% increase in rendering times depending upon the
> >number of objects and how many are intersected by the csg'ing object.
>
>   Ken, would that be a 50% *decrease* in rendering times? If so, that's
> really significant and I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I write
> a scene using a loop.
>
> --
> Alan

That would indeed be a 50% decrease in rendering times. I discovered this
when going through that menger sponge fractal craze a couple of months
ago. Without the manual bounding some of the images I posted may still be
rendering even now :) 50% is by no means gauranteed or substantiated but
it is my best guess for some circumstances.

If you are interested in testing this for your self I might be able to dig
up so code that illustrates it fairly well for you though I suspect you
could, with your experience, easily set up your own working test scene.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm