POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Infinite cones : Re: Infinite cones Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite cones
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 20 Jul 1999 08:11:30
Message: <379464CE.C2AE6398@xs4all.nl>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> This one puzzles me...
> The code below shows 2 bunches of cones. One is called "slow", the other
> one "quick". Render the code to see why : render the "quick" ones first
> and then the "slow" ones.
> The only difference between the slow and quick ones is that the slow
> ones have a slightly larger base radius.
> POV says that the slow cones are infinite objects !!!!
> I came upon this problem when rendering a tree : for some mysterious
> reason, some trees took forever to render (not counting parsing time).
> The "slow" cones below were (painstakingly) extracted from a file
> containing 16000 cones.
>
> Scaling the cones or moving the camera sometimes make the problem
> disappear, sometimes not.
>
> Any idea about what's going wrong ?
>
> Gilles

It obviously has something to do with the small difference between the base and
the top of the slow cones. The difference here is more or less redundant. I
changed them into cylinders and it rendered fast and seamless.
I don't know what the actual cause is, it's somewhere in the code, but assuming
you don't want to make a patch for this I guess there's not much more you can do
then adapt your scene-code or sit and wait.

Regards,

Remco