POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Creating Spheres of Triangles : Re: Creating Spheres of Triangles Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating Spheres of Triangles
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Date: 7 Jul 1999 03:18:30
Message: <3782FF46.57ED1C57@ele.kth.se>
Trying to revive this thread...

I succeeded in translating the basic version to POV only to notice that
it only creates the symmetry triangle. However, I got back to the
basics, took out pencil and paper, did some geometry and finally I got
it:

A POV macro that does an intersection of the three triangular faced
polyhedrons (tetrahedron, octahedron, icosahedron) to any number of
splittings (also called frequency) resulting in a geodesic sphere.

Up to now the macro is still experimental and I have to add a little bit
of documentation and remove those nasty #debug messages. But then -
hopefully by the end of this week - I'll post it on this server.

What it does
------------

  - intersects the triangular shaped faces of polyhedrons and projects
the new
    vertices on a unit sphere

  - gives back an array with the coordinates of these vertices

  - a second macro gives the resulting geodesic sphere as an object with
a native
    radius of 1 POV unit, centered at the origin

  - user-defined macros determine the shapes/objects drawn at the vertex
coordinates
    ("corners") and as the links ("edges") between each two neighbouring
vertices

  - a third macro (not yet written) is going to create a mesh structure
representing
    the triangular faces of the geodesic sphere

You can have a look at the first testpicture which I post in
povray.binaries.images under the same thread name.

Uwe.