POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : "random" PolyHEDRON : Re: "random" PolyHEDRON Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "random" PolyHEDRON
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 28 Jun 1999 21:37:46
Message: <37782372.1CC9320@giwersworld.org>
>   I asked this elsewhere with no answer yet...
> how can I produce a random PolyHedron - described by
> flat polygons, which will appear rounded, rather than
> as flat planes in the final rendering ?

	I'm not clear what you mean. I don't see how to get to rounded
if you want to start with flat polygons. Maybe a bezier or spline
surface with a n=1.3 fit? (I think that makes sense. It's been a
while.) Bring the edges around to a hidden side or something,
maybe.

http://www.mhri.edu.au/~pdb/geometry/bezier/beziersurf.html
http://www.mhri.edu.au/~pdb/geometry/spline/splinesurf.html

	A "rounded" regular polyhedron can be made with the intersection
of three cylinders at right angles. (And it will roll in the real
world.) Try randomizing them around the axis or something and see
if that looks like what you have in mind.

--

http://www.giwersworld.org/artsii/

Finally up on 99/06/22

Post a reply to this message