POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media woes : Re: Media woes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media woes
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 18 Jun 1999 15:17:29
Message: <376a9b49@news.povray.org>
My memory fails me... But if I'm not mistaken, halo used the same types -
emitting, absorbing and scattering. The basic principle behind them has
remained the same, i.e. emission colour is added to the backround,
absorption colour is subtracted etc. The only problem here is getting the
right density, which is now dependent on the length of the rgb vector. I
can't help you much here, except that a) you should definitely use
absorption along with emission, lest the media should disappear against a
lighter background, and b) absorption and emission should have roughly the
opposite colours (in terms of hue). One very important thing to remember is
that although emission <1,0,0> is red, absorption <1,0,0> is _not_ red, but
cyan - red is blocked out.

As for the second problem, in my experience it's pretty much a matter of
luck. Sometimes media remains grainy no matter what. But scattering media is
by far the worst in this respect. Emittin and absorbing should give more or
less smooth results with a bit of tweaking. You might try scaling it a bit,
up min samples and confidence/variance... But as I said, it's a matter of
luck.
I personally (and it seems many others too) miss the old sampling method.
Perhaps it becomes an option in the next release.

I have seen many good media flames in these ng-s and IRTC. Although none
come to mind that I would call 100 per cent realistic. A flame is a complex
phenomenon and not easy to model with the current density types. Perhaps
someone would implement a special "flame" pattern with options like origin,
whorl, rise, type (candle, campfire etc). Any takers? Didn't think so...

Margus