POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : non hollow my arse mr. pov!!!! aaarrrrggghh! : Re: non hollow my arse mr. pov!!!! aaarrrrggghh! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non hollow my arse mr. pov!!!! aaarrrrggghh!
From: Matt Giuer
Date: 21 Jun 1999 14:53:38
Message: <376E8ACF.BF8597A7@giwersworld.org>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Peter Santo <san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:
> : maybe "half-space"? BTW, would a very big box render faster than a plane
> : or vice versa?
>
>   I have always noticed, that planes are strangely slow to render, while
> boxes are much faster, and I have always wondered why. In a box, you have to
> test the intersection with 8 sides while in a plane you have to test the
> intersection with just one side. If you make 50 big boxes it surely will
> render faster than 50 planes.
>   Can anyone explain why is this?

	I have not looked at the code but descriptions of how it works
in the docs suggests one of the first things it does before
rendering is check for bounds. That should result in faster
computation such as like precomuting tpi=2*pi when 2*pi is used
thousands of times.

	An infinite object like a plane does not have bounds and so
there can be no precomputing for speed.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)