POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media woes : Re: Media woes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media woes
From: Ken
Date: 18 Jun 1999 12:43:55
Message: <376A7464.D9FCBCA4@pacbell.net>
Jeff Lee wrote:

> I've been trying and trying to get media to produce realistic flames
> like halo used to, but to no avail.
>
> My first problem stems from the fact that an emitting media doesn't seem
> to allow the user specify a transmit or filter value, like halo used to
> do, so flames disappear against certain background colours.  Adding an
> absorption media in the same object helps some, but (a) it doesn't seem
> to produce the same results, and (b) it slows things down even more.
>
> My second problem is that when I introduce turbulence, the media looks
> grainy no matter what I do to try and fix it.  I've tried increasing the
> samples, using finer anti-aliasing, and so on, but I can't seem to get
> smooth blends of colour like I did with a relatively low-sample (and
> even un-antialiased) halo.
>
> The usual advice I've seen is to go back to 3.0 for those scenes, but
> that means that other advances -- such as Bezier-spline lathes and
> prisms -- then cannot be used.
>
> So if anyone can help me understand how to get media to look like the
> fire and flame which the old halos could produce, I'd greatly appreciate
> it.
>
> --
> Jeff Lee         shi### [at] gatenet         http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/

The best advice I can offer is to search the scene files groups and the images
groups with "media" in the subject line. There have been several flames posted
with source - even a couple by me. The parameters change from scene to scene
and I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you without seeing your source
plus having the time to work on it (not much of that lately I'm afraid).

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net