POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : smooth triangle Normal : Re: smooth triangle Normal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth triangle Normal
From: Ron Parker
Date: 9 Jun 1999 09:09:38
Message: <375e6792@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:18:26 GMT, Jerry Anning wrote:
>vnormalize(vcross(b-a, c-a)+vcross(c-a,d-a)+vcross(d-a,e-a)...)
>Make sure that you are consistent in the sense (clockwise or
>counterclockwise) in which you go around the vertex.

You sure about that?  I think you might get some unintentional
weighting in your average, making the resultant vector lean a bit
towards the longer edges.  I would have thought you'd have to
normalize all the cross products first, then normalize the result.

Of course, I haven't really thought about it, so I could be wrong.