POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A Simple Lamp Shade ? : Re: A Simple Lamp Shade ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Simple Lamp Shade ?
From: Ph Gibone
Date: 6 May 1999 02:40:33
Message: <37312b51.0@news.povray.org>
>  Even this is not exactly what I am looking for. The pattern in the image
>you attached is only using a half wave from what I can see and I want
>a full sine wave pattern.
>
>Yours looks like this:
>    __        __
>   /  \      /  \
>  /    \    /    \
> /      \  /      \
>/        \/        \
>---------------------
>

>and I am trying to get this:
>       __            __
>      /  \          /  \
>     /    \        /    \
> ---/----- \------/------\----
>   /        \    /        \
>__/          \__/          \__
>

>Picture to yourself both of the above samples with nice smooth curves that
>striaght lines simply do not do justice to.

Change the "epicycloid" base to "napperon" and you'll get it ! If I can find
a few minutes today I'll post a small image

>  I have hacked out a method that uses an open cone object and then clip
>it in half. I use two of these one the inverse of the other. Then it's a
>simple (ha ha) translate and rotate routine with a while loop to completes
>the shape. There are a few hidden challenges doing it this way but the
>results are looking acceptable once the parameters are setup right.

You can't miss !

> Glad to here that it is something you can fix with reletive ease.

It is done : i'm testing it before releasing

>Thanks for your help and your continued support.

Uncle Ken thankful to me ? My 3d life's fullfilled :-} (in fact not 100%
joke, I really have great respect and admiration for your knowledge and for
the way you share it, thanks Mr Ken)

Philippe