POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A Simple Lamp Shade ? : Re: A Simple Lamp Shade ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Simple Lamp Shade ?
From: Ken
Date: 4 May 1999 08:37:00
Message: <372EDB50.C6BC0C10@pacbell.net>
Ph Gibone wrote:

> Another workaround would be to use the dome generator with a
> base=hypocycloid or epicycloid
> and many sides.
> Philippe

  I followed your advice and tried the Dome generater program. After about
15 different tests/renders/rejections I have yet to find a shape that comes
close to what I am hoping for. Perhaps the master could supply me with a
couple of examples of what to enter in the different fields so that I may
learn from his wisdome ?

  On a side note:
  One undesirable characteristic of the Dome program is that it is producing
a lot of degenerate triangles. You might think about adding a degenerate
triangle testing/removal feature in the program to eliminate these. I had
one file with over 350 degenerate triangles and that is a lot to have to edit
out of the file by hand. Especialy in files that are over 1+ megs in size.
I am not sure how to implement such a routine but there are many here
that I am sure could help you with that. It is a common problem for triangle
generating utilities and the fix I believe is an easy one to add.

 On a side-side note:
 For some reason I am now mentally calling the Dome program the Domenator.
Resistance is futile. You will be Domenated !

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net