POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Q: Advanced : Re: Advanced Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advanced
From: PoD
Date: 24 Apr 1999 16:25:02
Message: <37221A84.CB8E08D2@merlin.net.au>
Ken wrote:

> Margus Ramst wrote:
> >
> > The reason would be that you can use this in a pigment or a density, whereas
> > by #declaring you would be restricted to one of the two.
> >
> > You can't do this:
> >
> > #declare Pattern=pigment{...}
> > media{density{Pattern}}
> >
> > or vice versa.
> >
> > Margus
>
>  I will buy your argument where disallowed functions are concerned and
> you will note I carefully avoided that trap with the second example I
> provided. The reason I ask though comes from the fact that where I have
> been observing the use of this macro peculiarity there have been only
> one instance of the macro used in the file. No dual functionality was
> apparent so the implementation seems out of place and quite frankly
> unnecessary as well.
>
>   Thank you for pointing out the potential duality for this and it is
> worthy of taking note of for future use.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Also note the difference if you use something like rand() inside the
macro/#declare.
If you think you might do this at some time in the future, then you'd
best decide at the start how you want it to behave.

PoD.

P.S. I know this response took a while, I've been wandering around in
Linux newbie land for the last few weeks :)