POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Q: Advanced : Re: Q: Advanced Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Advanced
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 18 Apr 1999 19:16:08
Message: <371e5871.140247331@news.povray.org>
Hope I'm an advanced user...

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 16:00:51 +0200, Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> wrote:

>THe #declare _should_ parse faster, since there is no need to jump in the file.
>I won't stand for it, and if you ask me, i wasn't sending this message :-)

I think so too.  Also, the #macro version actually has to read the
entire macro declaration once when the macro is first declared
(looking for the #end) as well as when it's invoked.

>I think there is a memory-difference as well, esp. when using several objects
>with the same density(in this case)

None that I know of.  In fact, the macro version might use slightly
less memory, but in either case it's a constant amount of memory used
and it won't grow if you use the declared object or macro more than
once.