POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Math help needed please. : Re: Math help needed please. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math help needed please.
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 20 Apr 1999 09:13:18
Message: <371c6f5e.0@news.povray.org>
Josh English wrote in message <371BC172.F6F8B0AC@spiritone.com>...
>Thank you for the circumference formula... I've been looking for it.

It's an approximation, of course. The exact circumference is caclulated with
integrals.

As for your other method, I don't know... I think you'd need the foci of the
ellipse to calculate the radius. The sum of the distances from a point on
the ellipse to the foci is constant:
X - an arbitrary point on the ellipse
F1 and F2 - foci

XF1 + XF2 = 2 * major radius

You can also deduct that the distance from a focal point to the point where
the ellipse's radius is smallest (minor radius) = the major radius

It should now be quite easy to find the foci, given the major and minor
axes. From there, a bit of trig should give you the radius for any angle.
I'm thinking this up as I go, so I might be quite wrong. But if you feel
like it, give it a try (I don't feel like it, sorry :)

Margus