POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Q: Advanced : Re: Advanced Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advanced
From: Ken
Date: 18 Apr 1999 09:21:08
Message: <3719CCD8.B56BD009@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> The reason would be that you can use this in a pigment or a density, whereas
> by #declaring you would be restricted to one of the two.
>
> You can't do this:
>
> #declare Pattern=pigment{...}
> media{density{Pattern}}
>
> or vice versa.
>
> Margus

 I will buy your argument where disallowed functions are concerned and
you will note I carefully avoided that trap with the second example I
provided. The reason I ask though comes from the fact that where I have
been observing the use of this macro peculiarity there have been only
one instance of the macro used in the file. No dual functionality was
apparent so the implementation seems out of place and quite frankly
unnecessary as well.

  Thank you for pointing out the potential duality for this and it is
worthy of taking note of for future use.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net