POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : how to do ultra-hi-res image_mapping on a sphere? : how to do ultra-hi-res image_mapping on a sphere? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  how to do ultra-hi-res image_mapping on a sphere?
From: Erhard Ducke
Date: 20 Dec 2003 12:01:36
Message: <1gv8uvs6svm2tflakglt740mgmsoibkc6p@4ax.com>
Hi!
Can anyone give me a hint how to image_map very high resolution pictures on
a sphere?

The (earth) sphere is basically rendered with a ~8kx4k pixel projected on
it but there are special regions of interest that should use parts of a
40kx20k file.
So NOT the whole giant bitmap is used but only a fragment that should be
patched over the lo-res bitmap.
Is it possible to put this bitmap only on a exactly defined part of the
sphere? I know this is possible with other primitives as boxes but
image_maps on a sphere are wrapped completely around or am i wrong?
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all people around here!
--
Erhard Ducke