POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding with a sky_sphere : Re: Bounding with a sky_sphere Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding with a sky_sphere
From: Peter Popov
Date: 18 Feb 2000 18:03:54
Message: <182tODnUsZ2PjWkKQMp+PgQ1Fewl@4ax.com>
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 00:06:51 +0200, Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee>
wrote:

>Interesting. Approximately what I had in mind. Perhaps weighed averaging
>might give a more uniform distribution though...

The median approach is used in color reduction (Adaptive Palette for
PhotoShop users). It is considered the best non-empirical algorithm
for the purpose. It might prove the best in bounding as well.

>Did I just reinvent an oct-tree? ;)

I have no idea, I myself have never seen one :)

>I'll have to check if this actually works.
>Thanks.

Keep us posted.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet