POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Mathematically stuck with Lego... : Re: Mathematically stuck with Lego... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mathematically stuck with Lego...
From: Anton Raves
Date: 18 Apr 2001 15:01:40
Message: <180420012104546298%a.raves@direct.a2000.nl>
In article <3addcd19@news.povray.org>, Thorsten Froehlich
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> In article <160420012026113135%a.r### [at] directa2000nl> , Anton Raves
> <a.r### [at] directa2000nl>  wrote:
>
> > Yes, I am mathematically stuck with Lego's... I am trying to model a
> > Lego(TM) piece in POV-Ray, a half sphere full with hexagon shaped
> > cutting objects. I have to stick to CSG, for the piece may be used
> > transparently also and then a mesh won't work. Below you will find the
> > code that I have come up with so far, the cutting shape (made yellow
> > for clarifying purposes) that I want is in it. I hope someone who's
> > better at math than I am can help me get this piece correctly modelled.
>
> For simplicity, would a bump_map on a sphere still give you enough
> appearance of structure?

I've never looked at it that way, because you know, I have created all
the Lego(TM) pieces in my library using CSG... Having a bump_map might
actually work, but then I'd have the first piece in my library which
would be dependant on a seperate file... That is why I was looking for
help in this forum, to see if I could keep things in CSG... When that
doesn't work I'll give your (good!) idea a try!

Thanks Thorsten,
  Anton