POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : More dirty suggestions.... : More dirty suggestions.... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  More dirty suggestions....
From: Daniel Matthews
Date: 9 Sep 2001 21:40:13
Message: <1122589.USuA9gRusQ@3-e.net>
I was thinking about grime etc. and I had the following idea.

For any given spot on an object,
the amount of deposited grime that can be rubbed off,
is proportional to the amount of the same object that is visible,
from that point with a 180 degree FOV looking along the current normal,
with a bias controlled by the zmap of that view.

I guess the "dirt camera" resolution is equivalent to "number of samples",
so you can speed up the calculations by lowering the accuracy.

For the ultimate grime you would not just test for "self" but for all
objects within a given distance, that could influence the deposit, but this
would be slower again.

Initial dirt deposits could be controlled with a dirt source that would
work very much like a light source that is more or less diffuse. This would
allow for everything from a wet spray look to a soft dust effect.
Obviously the concept of "up" would need to be factored in too.

I can see this in my head, clearly, I hope my words make as much sense to
you.

:o)

Can anyone else see what I mean?