POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : shadow on transparent background : shadow on transparent background Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  shadow on transparent background
From: Alex Kluchikov
Date: 21 Dec 2002 18:41:24
Message: <1103_1040514049@news.povray.org>
I used POV-Ray to make a character moving over some video background. It was simple to
render it  into tga files each frame with alpha channel and import into Adobe Premiere
as
numdered stills. And when I placed my character into 2d scene I discovered a PROBLEM -
it has no shadow! May be anybody did the same and solved the problem?

 I have only one idea - to render character without shadow but with alpha channel in
first sequence, and shadow without object in second, and then use images of second
sequence as
alpha chanel of completely black image. But this method first: needs 2 render stages,
second: sutable only for shadows on planes (because more complex surfaces will produce

shadows too).

 So, we have a problem - to get image of our object and it's shadow and nothing else
at all. Is there a better way to do this, than mine?

Alex Kluchikov
mailto:klk### [at] ukrnet