POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Algorithm for Scattering : Re: Algorithm for Scattering Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Algorithm for Scattering
From: Peter Popov
Date: 28 Aug 2000 03:54:49
Message: <0o1kqsg07p3n09jdoe7dtitddrti1denpu@4ax.com>
On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:29:42 +0100, "Ammar Al-Allak"
<a.a### [at] ueaacuk> wrote:

>Can somebody give me the algorithm used for the Rayleigh Scattering in POV
>Ray and how it could me modified so that it is wavedependent.

The ray marching algorithm is explained in the POV-Ray docs where you
can also find the type 4 (Rayleigh) scattering diagram.

Now, to make it wavelength-dependent, you'll need to know the spectrum
of every light ray. This means that colors should either be
represented by their spectra or should fake a solution by
RGB-to-spectrum-space conversion (like RGB->HSB). It may or may not
require subsequent sampling of light rays like in the light dispersion
patch. In any case this will require massive changes in the source
code.

The good news is that someone is (or was?) working on this and even
posted some results some time ago. The bad news is, I don't remember
who it was. Maybe Ken has a link.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet