POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision with energy loss : Re: Sliding / flowing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sliding / flowing
From: Scott Moore
Date: 27 May 2002 14:04:47
Message: <0cn4fu4puklmvd51897614pal1fpobr6ap@4ax.com>
On Mon, 27 May 2002 15:54:13 +0200, "Rune"
<run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

>But that's not the point here. If I have understood you correctly, ball
>bearings don't have freedom of movement so it doesn't make sense to talk
>about the incoming and outcoming angle... :/
>
>You're right though that the bouncing often continues many many times,
>but after the last tiny bounce the ball or particle should still roll or
>flow or slide or whatever you want to call it. Did you see that image in
>povray.binaries.images I mentioned?
>
>Rune

Actually, I hadn't looked at the images - have now though 8o)

If you're trying to keep things simple then maybe you could treat the
vertical and horizontal energy loss coefficients separately (maybe
coefficients isn't the right word but I'll use it anyway!) By vertical
I mean perpendicular to the tangent of the collision point and by
horizontal I mean the tangent of the collision point. The horizontal
energy loss is handled by the material's friction coefficient and the
vertical energy loss is handled by the elasticity coefficient. When
either component gets below a certain threshold you can consider that
component to have zero energy - this could stop the (near) infinite
smaller bounces problem?

Basically, with this you will be able to get the sliding to come to a
half after the bouncing has stopped.

Don't take any of this too seriously - I am probably way of base here
... just a bunch of ideas ...

Bye,

Scott