POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need help with rand/seed : Need help with rand/seed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:31:39 EDT (-0400)
  Need help with rand/seed
From: CreeD
Date: 13 Jul 2000 11:22:09
Message: <01bfecde$da635120$1a1ba1d0@mk>
Hi, I'm having trouble figuring out rand and seed.
When I declare something like

#declare Random1=seed(123)

and then use

rand(Random1)

 I get semi random effects, but I can't figure out what the range of
possible
random numbers I'm outputting will be (I'm using it in a color_map
statement).

Is the random number going to be between 1 and 123? That seems unlikely
from
the results I get.  Is it 1, 2, or 3, or any value in between? Am I
completely off base?
Can I specify a range? , i.e. I want -

color rgb <random something between 1 and 5, 5, 5>

Also, is there a way to make POV get a new, completely random evaluation of
my random number every time it renders, so that I can keep experimenting
until I get something I like?

Thanks in advance.