POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animated png on Linux Server Time
6 May 2024 20:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Animated png on Linux (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Jonathan Bush
Subject: Animated png on Linux
Date: 3 Jan 2024 08:35:00
Message: <web.65956110c2f0dd176e558a71fde6c206@news.povray.org>
I am new to this form of animation. My system is Linux:

System:
  Host: XPS Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.18.1
    Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
CPU:
  Info: quad core Intel Core i7-6700 [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 3700
    min/max: 800/4000
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] driver: nvidia v: 470.223.02
  Device-3: Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam type: USB
    driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa gpu: i915
    resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1680x1050~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2
    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.223.02

What is the best (preferably free) software for turning png frames into an
animated png file? Are there different codecs?

I intend to upload my apng to Imgur. Are there upper limits on framerate,
resolution, file size? Do viewers need specific browsers?

I made a 10-second clip at 6 fps, 198Hx264W pixels, using apngasm. I tried
viewing it with tacentview but it was super slow, several seconds per frame.

I am currently generating the frames for the same clip at 60 fps, 600 frames
total, 990x1320. It should be finished on Saturday morning.

I would be grateful for your advice!

Post a reply to this message