POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animated png on Linux : Re: Animated png on Linux Server Time
19 May 2024 06:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated png on Linux
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Jan 2024 11:15:00
Message: <web.659586de4f69fbb61f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Jonathan Bush" <djb### [at] gmxcom> wrote:

> What is the best (preferably free) software for turning png frames into an
> animated png file? Are there different codecs?

ImageMagick
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/apngasm.1.html
others popped in my search

> I intend to upload my apng to Imgur. Are there upper limits on framerate,
> resolution, file size? Do viewers need specific browsers?

No idea, but I would imagine it would have more to do with file size than any
other specs.  I'm sure there are animated png (apng) files that you can search
for to determine what browsers support them, or just search "animated png
support [browser]"

> I made a 10-second clip at 6 fps, 198Hx264W pixels, using apngasm. I tried
> viewing it with tacentview but it was super slow, several seconds per frame.

Maybe there are settings that have to be set to get a smooth, faster view.
Any particular reason you're choosing that format?
I think ImageMagick or even ffmpeg can convert the png files to any other on the
fly, and a lot of people have had great success with those.
I've managed to make pretty decent animations, and even remove whatever bloat is
inherent in the files to make the file _size_ smaller, but keeping the same
apparent resolution and image quality.

> I am currently generating the frames for the same clip at 60 fps, 600 frames
> total, 990x1320. It should be finished on Saturday morning.

Also search for 'animated png' here on the forums - I got a good number of hits.

- BW