POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animated png on Linux : Re: Animated png on Linux Server Time
19 May 2024 04:40:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated png on Linux
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Jan 2024 21:45:00
Message: <web.659f55a74f69fbb69b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Jonathan Bush" <djb### [at] gmxcom> wrote:
> Thank you all for your feedback!
>
> Here is a high resolution version, 1320x990, 600 frames at 60 fps. I put it on
> my Google Drive.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rt9OUUljyQhDRS72sNfAxC7JAAvrkvSW/view?usp=sharing
>
> I can view it but it is a little slow, perhaps because my hardware is limited.

That's a large file-- 504MB. The download took about 4 minutes for me, with my
*supposedly* hi-speed internet connection. :-[

The animation plays OK on my fast Windows 10 system, and lasts about 10 seconds.
I guess it's playing back at the proper 60 fps speed. What surprised me is that
the file has a .png file suffix, rather than a more standard MPEG; I didn't know
such a file could be used for animation. Apparently, it is an .apng file-- an
'animated portable graphics' file format. I had to look it up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG

From what I see there, such a format may not play back (as animation) in some
apps. I happened to use SMPlayer for Windows, which does recognize it.

I like the animation...but I'm not so sure it really needs a 60fps playback
speed, as the movements are rather slow. Nicely done though.