POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Theo Gottwald *
Subject: SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board
Date: 14 Aug 2002 07:10:28
Message: <3d5a3aa4$1@news.povray.org>
SMPOV (128 kb alltogether) is ready in Version 1

Mabe you have heared that this or the other Rendering-program can distribute
Rendering on "8 PC's or 16 PC's at the same time".

Download this 129 kb und you can render your next picture on 100 PC's at the
same time
 AND you can use all local avaible CPU's. = distributed computing.

This new Version includes:

- Simple "drag 'n drop" user-Interface. Drop your file in, get a pic out.

- Render your picture on as many CPU's as you can get.
   No diffrence if they are local or in any PC in the Network.

-  full support for Animations.inclusiive "SubSet of Frames"-rendering.
(!NEW!)

- All explanations in english PLUS english Readme.txt with an detailed,
in-depth explanation (as good as I can :-).

- Can tile one picture up to 25x25 (=625 tiles) (each rendered somewhere
else :-).

- High-Speed picture-appender (puts 100 Tiles together while you hold your
breath).

- fully multithreaded (look in the Taskmanager how many threads SMPOV has).
- Reset-proof (tries to recover after a system-crash - includes the
RenderAgents on the Clients) (!NEW!)
- "Common.ini" - File where you can set genreal "INI"-options for all
rendered Files

Further:
- no need of any instrallation under W2k
- no Need of any installation on any Client-PC (I did not test it under W9x
however).
- You can also use the program to distribute Full pictures to other PC's for
rendering.

AND THE BEST:                                      ITS FREE.
Its my contribution to those people who gave me the POV 3.5 for free - the
best Raytracing Programm I know. (I have increased the  dispersion_samples -
now I see the rainbow colours !).

MY QUESTION:
What is the preferred way to inform interested people that the program
exists ?
FAQ, WEB-Site ? Can there be a link somewhere on the POV-Site ?

PLEASE:
report your experiences to me.

THE current place where i put it WEB SITE:
Download-Link:SMPOV
http://www.it-berater.org/smpov1.exe

Runtimes (install only if needed) !
http://www.it-berater.or/runtimes.exe

Explanation and screen-shots (at time of this writing in work):
http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm

Why I need this program (Look the pic):
http://www.theogott.de/seite1.htm

--Theo Gottwald
---------------------
6.4 GHz alltogether for POV 3.5

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:10:50 +0200, "Theo Gottwald *"
<The### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Download this 129 kb und you can render your next picture on 100 PC's at the
> same time
> AND you can use all local avaible CPU's. = distributed computing.

Sound interesting. I hope it also works interesting. I have not started/tested
it yet but I have some suggestions you could consider for next version. Should
I express it ?

> - Render your picture on as many CPU's as you can get.
>   No diffrence if they are local or in any PC in the Network.

What should be started on other computers ?

> - All explanations in english PLUS english Readme.txt with an detailed,
> in-depth explanation (as good as I can :-).

A web page is not in english as far as I can see

> - High-Speed picture-appender (puts 100 Tiles together while you hold your
> breath).

Does it hurts ? ;-)

> Further:
> - no need of any instrallation under W2k

Does it work under nt4 ?

> - no Need of any installation on any Client-PC (I did not test it under W9x
> however).

I don't get it. So how it starts instances ib client-pc ? I plan to use it on
some important computers and don'w want be surprized with some hacks.

> AND THE BEST:                                      ITS FREE.

Does this mean it is legal and you have full rights to distribute binaries ?
Would it be possible to publish source files to compile it? Using it on
important machines could be dangerous so I prefer compile it myself.

> Can there be a link somewhere on the POV-Site ?

You can send request to Ken to add link to pov-links collection.

> Explanation and screen-shots (at time of this writing in work):
> http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm

Screenshots are not readable since can't be zoomed.

> Why I need this program (Look the pic):
> http://www.theogott.de/seite1.htm

Can't read dvd titles ;-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> Sound interesting. I hope it also works interesting. I have not
started/tested
> it yet but I have some suggestions you could consider for next version.
Should
> I express it ?

### YES - I'll comment below your sentences.

> > - Render your picture on as many CPU's as you can get.
> >   No diffrence if they are local or in any PC in the Network.
> What should be started on other computers ?
### Better first try it.

> A web page is not in english as far as I can see
### I hope to change that today. below you can read that the WEB-Page is
still in work :-)

> > - High-Speed picture-appender (puts 100 Tiles together while you hold
your
> > breath).
> Does it hurts ? ;-)
### depends on the MHz of your processor and on your graficscard (uses
bitblt :-).

> > - no need of any instrallation under W2k
> Does it work under nt4 ?
### try it and tell me pls. I've use a few API's to set process priority.
Thats the only critical point i think.

> I don't get it. So how it starts instances ib client-pc ? I plan to use it
on  some important computers and don'w want be surprized with some hacks.
### The render-agent itself cannot be started over the network. YOU start it
"by hand". The render-agent starts however the rendering process
automatically.
### think of the Render-Agent as your employee ...
### The renderagent is the only file you need to transfer to the client PC.
It has 25 kb, it does not make any registry-entires or changes in the
file-system outside
### its own directory or outside its COM-Folder. It does not connect to the
internet. It connects however to its COM Folder.

> Does this mean it is legal and you have full rights to distribute binaries
?
### I have just programmed it myself. So why not ?

> Would it be possible to publish source files to compile it? Using it on
important machines could be dangerous so I prefer compile it myself.
### It is written in Powerbasic 7.0 (see www.Powerbasic.com ). The
source-code may be shared at a later time after it is cleaned up, then for
all interested people.
### The whole project is a few days old now, and I am happy that it runs as
I wanted.
###
### To be safe that there is no hack inside, just put a personal firewall on
your PC, or try the program with a registry monitor.
### As said it will not try to connect anywhere else other then in its own
folder or in the COM Folder.
### It doesn not write anything in the registry.
### I don't distribute hacks I guess there are other organizations in USA
who are more intrested in doing that. :-)

### I see one option: If there is official interest from the POV-Ray Team I
would give them the source code for doing changes and then including it in
the windows-package.
### However that does not change the fact that the thing is programmed in
Powerbasic and (picture-pender) in Visual Basic.

### But then I need to know who is who ... :-)

> You can send request to Ken to add link to pov-links collection.
### Hall Ken, may I request your support to the best of your knowledge ?

### OK I did that. Maybe Ken is with us ?

> > Explanation and screen-shots (at time of this writing in work):
> > http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm
>
> Screenshots are not readable since can't be zoomed.
### Is in work ! (the pictures are already up on the server they're just not
linked).

> > Why I need this program (Look the pic):
> > http://www.theogott.de/seite1.htm
>
> Can't read dvd titles ;-)
### Its Ballerburg, Theme Park Manager, COMANCHE and Serious Sam :-).

> ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:14:02
Message: <3D5A581C.F9D9035@pacbell.net>
Theo Gottwald * wrote:

> MY QUESTION:
> What is the preferred way to inform interested people that the program
> exists ?
> FAQ, WEB-Site ?

Besides advertising here on the news groups you might try contacting
Rick at http://povray.co.uk and see if he will put up a little news
article for you. Many POV-Ray users visit that site.

> Can there be a link somewhere on the POV-Site ?

On the links pages, yes.

> THE current place where i put it WEB SITE:
> Explanation and screen-shots (at time of this writing in work):
> http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm

Will the above link be your permanent and official website for this
utility or is it likely to change in the future?

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Theo Gottwald *
Subject: -> Ken
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:20:52
Message: <3d5a5934$1@news.povray.org>

> Besides advertising here on the news groups you might try contacting
> Rick at http://povray.co.uk and see if he will put up a little news
> article for you. Many POV-Ray users visit that site.

Ok, I'll think of that after the WEB-Site is ready & english.
Thanks for the tip, Ken.

> On the links pages, yes. Thats all they need.
Its only for interest for those small percentage of users who have a) more
then 1 CPU or b) more then 1 PC.
However they could be interested. So all I want is that they have a chance
to find what they look for.

> > THE current place where i put it WEB SITE:
> > Explanation and screen-shots (at time of this writing in work):
> > http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm
>
> Will the above link be your permanent and official website for this
> utility or is it likely to change in the future?

## We will hereby decide that this link is permanent, otherwise you would
need to change the links page every week and
## something tells me that you much more intresting things to do :-) !.
## Thanks for putting the Link up, Ken !

--Theo
http://www.it-berater.org

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:25:10
Message: <8ukklu461bp7lubqc319p5unhs3t27g66o@4ax.com>
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:45:11 +0200, "Theo Gottwald *"
<The### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

What an awful "###". It hurts eyes :-(
Is it your favourite setting or default by Outlook ?

> ### YES - I'll comment below your sentences.

Would it be possible to start agent as service on destination machine ?
In example I don't want to forbid to login other users during rendering.
What is priority of started pov-ray instance ?
How agent behaves when povray crashes during parsing/rendering ?

> > > - Render your picture on as many CPU's as you can get.
> > >   No diffrence if they are local or in any PC in the Network.
> > What should be started on other computers ?
> ### Better first try it.

How could I try it withot knowing if I shoud start something ;-)

> ### The render-agent itself cannot be started over the network. YOU start it
> "by hand". The render-agent starts however the rendering process
> automatically.

Can I set some priority of agent similiar to priority of POV-Ray (render
priority, gui priority, duty cycles) ?
How it behave when some agent would be lost/unplugged ?
I know I can find answers installing it but I don't have testing network. I
have working and important network. I have to know as much as possible before
installation.

> > Does this mean it is legal and you have full rights to distribute binaries
> ?
> ### I have just programmed it myself. So why not ?

Becouse license of programming tool tells different ?

> > Would it be possible to publish source files to compile it? Using it on
> important machines could be dangerous so I prefer compile it myself.
> ### It is written in Powerbasic 7.0 (see www.Powerbasic.com ).

I will see waht's that.

> The
> source-code may be shared at a later time after it is cleaned up, then for
> all interested people.

like me :-)

> ### The whole project is a few days old now, and I am happy that it runs as
> I wanted.

so now make it usfull for others :-)

> ### To be safe that there is no hack inside, just put a personal firewall on
> your PC, or try the program with a registry monitor.

I can't install personal firewall on company database server :-)
Again, I prefer to know as much as possible _before_ installation.
Reading sources could help :-)

> ### I see one option: If there is official interest from the POV-Ray Team I
> would give them the source code for doing changes and then including it in
> the windows-package.

Since it is different programming platform I doubt it could be easy.
Better try to investigate windows sources and (if necessary) learn C(++) if
you really want help :-)
Oh, I've seen some C++ books on your shelf so perhaps You are already ready to
code. If you do it don't forget to announce it to be included in
http://abx.art.pl/pov/patches/

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/297/

http://www.google.com/search?q=ken+pov-links

> ### OK I did that. Maybe Ken is with us ?

http://tag.povray.org/

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: -> Ken
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:27:29
Message: <3D5A5B42.7FEBAA5A@pacbell.net>
Theo Gottwald * wrote:

> > Will the above link be your permanent and official website for this
> > utility or is it likely to change in the future?
>
> ## We will hereby decide that this link is permanent, otherwise you would
> need to change the links page every week and
> ## something tells me that you much more intresting things to do :-) !.
> ## Thanks for putting the Link up, Ken !

Look for it in the next day or two. I'll try to update the site tonight
when I get home but it may take a while for it to cycle through the
system.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:34:58
Message: <2qmklu8phg8cspai572ogf34a226d0vb92@4ax.com>
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 06:29:38 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> I'll try to update the site tonight

Will be this major update or only for Theo ? I still can't find my Insert Menu
Bonus Pack listed in links. Would you like also to add section "POV-Ray
Patches v3.5" to "POV-Ray Unofficial Patches and Front End Programs" and list
there my http://www.abx.art.pl/patches/ ? Thanks in advance!

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:40:07
Message: <3D5A5E3B.F711BC09@pacbell.net>
ABX wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 06:29:38 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> > I'll try to update the site tonight
>
> Will be this major update or only for Theo ? I still can't find my Insert Menu
> Bonus Pack listed in links. Would you like also to add section "POV-Ray
> Patches v3.5" to "POV-Ray Unofficial Patches and Front End Programs" and list
> there my http://www.abx.art.pl/patches/ ? Thanks in advance!

That URL does not work :(

If you provide a working link I will include you in the update.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:54:09
Message: <b4oklus9raco4kkgjo0kltru7kvft47o3h@4ax.com>
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 06:42:19 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> > http://www.abx.art.pl/patches/
>
> That URL does not work :(

sorry, written in hurry :-(

http://www.abx.art.pl/pov/patches/