POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board : Re: SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:41:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board
From: ABX
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:25:10
Message: <8ukklu461bp7lubqc319p5unhs3t27g66o@4ax.com>
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:45:11 +0200, "Theo Gottwald *"
<The### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

What an awful "###". It hurts eyes :-(
Is it your favourite setting or default by Outlook ?

> ### YES - I'll comment below your sentences.

Would it be possible to start agent as service on destination machine ?
In example I don't want to forbid to login other users during rendering.
What is priority of started pov-ray instance ?
How agent behaves when povray crashes during parsing/rendering ?

> > > - Render your picture on as many CPU's as you can get.
> > >   No diffrence if they are local or in any PC in the Network.
> > What should be started on other computers ?
> ### Better first try it.

How could I try it withot knowing if I shoud start something ;-)

> ### The render-agent itself cannot be started over the network. YOU start it
> "by hand". The render-agent starts however the rendering process
> automatically.

Can I set some priority of agent similiar to priority of POV-Ray (render
priority, gui priority, duty cycles) ?
How it behave when some agent would be lost/unplugged ?
I know I can find answers installing it but I don't have testing network. I
have working and important network. I have to know as much as possible before
installation.

> > Does this mean it is legal and you have full rights to distribute binaries
> ?
> ### I have just programmed it myself. So why not ?

Becouse license of programming tool tells different ?

> > Would it be possible to publish source files to compile it? Using it on
> important machines could be dangerous so I prefer compile it myself.
> ### It is written in Powerbasic 7.0 (see www.Powerbasic.com ).

I will see waht's that.

> The
> source-code may be shared at a later time after it is cleaned up, then for
> all interested people.

like me :-)

> ### The whole project is a few days old now, and I am happy that it runs as
> I wanted.

so now make it usfull for others :-)

> ### To be safe that there is no hack inside, just put a personal firewall on
> your PC, or try the program with a registry monitor.

I can't install personal firewall on company database server :-)
Again, I prefer to know as much as possible _before_ installation.
Reading sources could help :-)

> ### I see one option: If there is official interest from the POV-Ray Team I
> would give them the source code for doing changes and then including it in
> the windows-package.

Since it is different programming platform I doubt it could be easy.
Better try to investigate windows sources and (if necessary) learn C(++) if
you really want help :-)
Oh, I've seen some C++ books on your shelf so perhaps You are already ready to
code. If you do it don't forget to announce it to be included in
http://abx.art.pl/pov/patches/

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/297/

http://www.google.com/search?q=ken+pov-links

> ### OK I did that. Maybe Ken is with us ?

http://tag.povray.org/

ABX