POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Running multiple instances (Re: Dual Processors) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:59:09 EDT (-0400)
  Running multiple instances (Re: Dual Processors) (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: Running multiple instances (Re: Dual Processors)
Date: 18 Jul 2002 07:24:15
Message: <3d36a55f@news.povray.org>
OK, as was suggested, running multiple instances simultaneously to split the
work load is the way to go right now.  What I'd like to know (and it seems a
really silly question), is how to force POV-Ray to run two instances?

I have a rendering going along right now that's only at 5 PPS (what can I
say, the faster the computer, the more complex my scenes get!) and I'd like
to have it at 10 by running two instances with the affinity fixed to CPU0
for one and CPU1 for the second, however, when I try to run a second
instance, the focus just changes to the existing instance as though it's
designed not to allow multiple instances.

What am I doing wrong here... is there a command line switch to tell it to
force a second instance?  I had a look in the help files but I couldn't find
anything.

Regards,

Lance.

thezone.firewave.com.au
www.firewave.com.au

Date: 18 Jul 2002 07:35:17
Message: <rp9dju0ct7ef6m848kqd5s6cpe06j2bve9@4ax.com>
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:24:03 +1000, "Lance Birch" <-> wrote:
> is there a command line switch to tell it to
> force a second instance?

you mean Menu -> Options -> Keep Single Instance ?

in case of command line perhaps there could be a trick/workaround with
register changed via batch, but I never checked it

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:24:03 +1000, "Lance Birch" <-> wrote:
> > is there a command line switch to tell it to
> > force a second instance?
>
> you mean Menu -> Options -> Keep Single Instance ?
>
> in case of command line perhaps there could be a trick/workaround with
> register changed via batch, but I never checked it

*slaps head*

I obviously didn't look hard enough in the help file (or in the menus for
that matter!).

Thanks ABX!

Lance.

thezone.firewave.com.au