POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Running multiple instances (Re: Dual Processors) : Re: Running multiple instances (Re: Dual Processors) Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running multiple instances (Re: Dual Processors)
From: Francois Piednoel
Date: 10 Aug 2002 20:43:05
Message: <3d55b319$1@news.povray.org>
Unfortunatly, 1 CPU + 1 CPU is not equal to 2 CPUs ... :)

When you have a 2 CPUs machine, the processors share the same front side
bus, and the same memory modules. A direct concequence is that 2 instances
running in the same time, will not share the same data set. The concequence
will be that you will double the memory traffic. This traffic is extremely
slow compare to the 2 or 3 GHz of the processors, and you will probably see
around 10% to 25% speed improvement with a seconds instance running
concurently, with 2 physical processors.

What you really want to do is the have 2 treads running using the same
"source data" in reading mode only (No L2 cache write combine between the 2
processors), both thread have their own local variables, and 2 differents
input.

The dream case, is to have a commun L2 cache, with 2 cores (or 2
Hyperthreading logical CPUs) and get the source data inside the L2 Cache (or
L3) and try to maximize the locality of the source data by rendering the
line n on the CPU n, and line n+1 on CPU(n+1) etc ...
Doing so, you will minimize the 1st L2 cache miss (statistically, 2 close
pixels share the same 3D collisions, at least the 1st one on the same
object).

I am testing those ideas on Xeon with Hyperthreading technology, and I am
seeing good performance improvement.

Of course, I did not test all the solutions, and an algorythm solution may
be better than the "brut force" solution I am offering.

I will be releasing a sample code doing so soon, based on PovRay 3.5

If you want to learn about Hyperthreading :
http://cedar.intel.com/media/training/hyper_threading_intro/tutorial/index.h
tm (Click on next at the bottom)
Cool training ;)

Francois