POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to Get Non-Standart Characters in Truetype Fonts? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  How to Get Non-Standart Characters in Truetype Fonts? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: menethern
Subject: How to Get Non-Standart Characters in Truetype Fonts?
Date: 4 May 2000 17:23:51
Message: <00000405002330.OUI65.menethern@centrum.cz>
Hi,

I have following problem: I'd like to add some czech
text to scene, but we have some "strange" characters
in our alphabet (we use Central European fonts) and
I'm not able put these characters into scene. I have fonts with these
characters, but I guess they have higher numbers then 255, because I
tried to make a scene with table of characters 0-255 using chr() but
those I need weren't there. Had anyone solved simmilar problem? Not
necessarily with czech, I think that the same problem must be in a lot
of other languages.

Thanks for any advice

Petr, men### [at] centrumcz

--
 -  men### [at] centrumcz

Post a reply to this message

> I have following problem: I'd like to add some czech
> text to scene, but we have some "strange" characters
> in our alphabet (we use Central European fonts) and
> I'm not able put these characters into scene. I have fonts with these
> characters, but I guess they have higher numbers then 255, because I
> tried to make a scene with table of characters 0-255 using chr() but
> those I need weren't there. Had anyone solved simmilar problem? Not
> necessarily with czech, I think that the same problem must be in a lot
> of other languages.
>
> Thanks for any advice

It is a common problem with the official version of the program. Unless
you make your own fonts with the characters you need in the range of
0-125 you won't be able to render them with Pov. There are two patched
versions of POV-Ray that will let you use some unicode fonts that might
be able to do what you want but you will have to be happy with running
an unofficial version of the program to use that feature.

You can read more about the problem  and look at one of the patches
at this site:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/unipatch/

and I am pretty sure the patch above is also available in the
MegaPov patched version of POV-Ray available at:

http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

You can export all the text (or just the letter you need) into
dxf, after you convert it into inc (mesh) with crossroad
(http://www.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/) or 3Dwin
(http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/). Mesh are really (really!) faster
to render :). I hope that elefont can handle your rebel characters :).

Fabian.

> Hi,
>
> I have following problem: I'd like to add some czech
> text to scene, but we have some "strange" characters
> in our alphabet (we use Central European fonts) and
> I'm not able put these characters into scene. I have fonts with these
> characters, but I guess they have higher numbers then 255, because I
> tried to make a scene with table of characters 0-255 using chr() but
> those I need weren't there. Had anyone solved simmilar problem? Not
> necessarily with czech, I think that the same problem must be in a lot
> of other languages.
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> Petr, men### [at] centrumcz
>
> --
>  -  men### [at] centrumcz

Post a reply to this message

> You can export all the text (or just the letter you need) into
> dxf, after you convert it into inc (mesh) with crossroad
> (http://www.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/) or 3Dwin
> (http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/). Mesh are really (really!) faster
> to render :). I hope that elefont can handle your rebel characters :).

The only down side to this method is that the .dxf and .pov files
produced can be very large. If you only do this once in a while it
is ok but if you are going to produce a lot of files this way they
will consume a lot of hard drive space.