POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Timer Trouble Server Time
16 May 2024 22:34:32 EDT (-0400)
  Timer Trouble (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Timer Trouble
Date: 10 Dec 2008 18:28:23
Message: <49405097$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:44:59 -0500, clipka wrote:

> I was actually hoping for something more substantial than the usual
> "RTFM" type of replies - that someone might be willing to invest maybe
> 15 minutes to save me from spending half a day trying to dig up the very
> same information myself.

And seeing that you got an answer, that's great - maybe you need to read
esr's article on how to ask smart questions?  ( http://www.catb.org/~esr/
faqs/smart-questions.html )

I can understand your frustration and whatnot, but picking the proper
community to ask is often the first step in asking a good question.  I
personally would tend to eliminate the factors I could (as I attempted to
do by asking if it seemed to be a MegaPOV problem or a kernel problem by
eliminating MegaPOV from the picture - something that wasn't clear to me
in your initial post).

As a reader of these forums and not recognizing your name, I (and Warp,
and Thierry, and anyone else reading here) have no idea what your level
of experience is with computers.  We have to assume you know only what
you've told us.

Then asking us to do the work for you - well, what's our motivation
here?  It took me 10 seconds to google your question (see my prior
response), and the first non-PDF response suggests a boot parameter that
probably would also solve the problem for you.

Seriously, have a look at Eric Raymond's essay on asking intelligent
questions.  It's something anyone who works with computers and uses
online communities should understand.  I distilled your question to "I
run Debian; my clock runs fast.  How do I fix it?", googled "debian clock
runs fast" and got a result.

One of esr's points in his essay on asking intelligent questions is to
distill the problem to the simplest form and ask your question - don't
guess at the answer.  He's got an excellent example of a bad question and
how it can be rewritten as a good question that will get you help.

Please *please* note that I'm not trying to attack you - I'm trying to
help you help yourself so you don't take so much time to get a problem
resolved.

Jim

Post a reply to this message