POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Timer Trouble : Re: Timer Trouble Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:10:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Timer Trouble
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Dec 2008 16:41:00
Message: <4942da6c$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:16:18 -0500, Kyle wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Excuse me for trying to help you learn how to search for information
>> yourself so you can find what you're looking for more efficiently.
>

> The aggravation is not worth what you're being paid, is it Jim?  ;-)

If I doubled my salary for answering a question like that, well, I'd
still be at 0.  :-)

It always amazes me that there are people who don't know how to ask for
help in a way that gets them help as well as how to search for an answer.

I used to work in a bookstore (years and years ago).  We'd have people
come in to get a book on Lotus 1-2-3 that told them how to do "x".  I'd
walk them back to the section that had the Lotus 1-2-3 books were and
they'd pull a random book off the bookshelf and start flipping through
the Table of Contents or just browsing the book.

I'd grab a book and look at the index.  I'd also start thinking of
alternative terms for what they were trying to do (ie, word
association).  If the book didn't have it in the index, I'd grab the next
book and repeat.

In the time they were looking at one book, I'd go through 4 or 5 and end
up with a few suggestions for them.  They were usually amazed that I was
able to make a quick recommendation like that, but it wasn't that I knew
the books, it was just that I knew how to find what they were looking for
quickly.

Learning how to get help isn't hard - it's when someone starts demanding
answers without doing their homework properly that it gets annoying.  I
don't know how many hundreds of thousands of messages I've posted on
newsgroups and in public forums over the years - but I know it numbers in
the hundreds of thousands.  I used to answer upwards of 1,000 messages a
week on CompuServe back in the early 90's.

Jim