POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Timer Trouble : Re: Timer Trouble Server Time
14 Jun 2024 02:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Timer Trouble
From: clipka
Date: 10 Dec 2008 22:35:00
Message: <web.49408956ec458063ebb7cc8a0@news.povray.org>
> Then asking us to do the work for you - well, what's our motivation
> here?

Maybe nothing more than just helping others...?

> It took me 10 seconds to google your question (see my prior
> response), and the first non-PDF response suggests a boot parameter that
> probably would also solve the problem for you.

Notice something? Took me 3 hours 30 to google that bloody thing - not even
counting my *FIRST* attempt at it, which was probably somewhere between 30
minutes and an hour.

That's *THOUSAND* times the 10 seconds that you say it took *YOU*.

GEEZ! I *DID* search for that f*** sh** like "Debian clock fast", I'm telling
you! But me being primarily a Windows Jockey, I had *NO* idea whatsoever what
to keep my eyes peeled for! I didn't even *KNOW* there is something like boot
parameters; the seemingly more common term "kernel parameters" sounded to me
rather like "recompile your kernel" - which is *NOT* something I would have
wanted to do without anyone guiding me through that.

So, how do you imagine I should have recognized that the first non-PDF response
could possibly be just the thing I was looking for - in some freakin' 10
seconds? And how could I have possibly learned in those 10 seconds how to
actually *implement* a solution from the information in that PDF???

> One of esr's points in his essay on asking intelligent questions is to
> distill the problem to the simplest form and ask your question - don't
> guess at the answer.  He's got an excellent example of a bad question and
> how it can be rewritten as a good question that will get you help.

Asking intelligent questions requires at least *SOME* knowledge about the thing
you're having problems with.

So here I am, having already googled for loads of different combinations of
"Linux", "Debian", "clock", "time", "fast" and whatever you can possibly
imagine, without finding anything *I* could comprehend, let alone actually put
to use - so how else should I have put it?

> Please *please* note that I'm not trying to attack you - I'm trying to
> help you help yourself so you don't take so much time to get a problem
> resolved.

Man, that's crap! This "hey, I can google it up in 10 seconds so please don't
pester me with that and instead read that f*** essay and go find out yourself
you lazy bum" - attitude is real bullshit. If you *can* google it up in 10
seconds, why don't you invest that time to help me, instead of wasting it by
writing a reply that's no help at all???

You know what? Technology didn't advance by everyone learning to do everything.
It advanced by people specializing on different things. Means that people
concentrate on things they're good at, and don't waste time on things others
can do with significantly less effort. Doesn't seem to have reached the "RTFM!"
advocates though.

I have no intention of becoming a Linux Guru myself, so why don't you just stop
trying to teach me to become one, and instead just go ahead and help me solve
my problem?!

(Well, it's a rethorical question, no need solving it anymore. Clock seems to be
running fine now.)