POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray optimization on G5 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 12:55:01 EDT (-0400)
  Povray optimization on G5 (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: popov
Subject: Re: Povray optimization on G5
Date: 3 Feb 2005 11:35:01
Message: <web.420252466433660fe0309d820@news.povray.org>
> Now that you have a PPC 970 compile, how fast is it compared to the defaults
> provided when rendering the standard benchmark?

With the default build I get 39 minitues in the average(3 runs)

With the 'G5 optimized' build (basically it is -fast without -fcgse) I get
35 minutes in the average(3 runs).

I can reproduce it with a deviation of several seconds.

So it seems to be 10% faster. I'll not spent much more time on optimization,
was just wondering what would be possible for the G5.
A user reported about 27 minutes. Maybe he/she was using another compiler.
Would be nice to know.

The Mac OSX GUI Version is somewhat (~2min) faster. Was it compiled with
gcc?
I assume not!

Let's see if OSX Tiger/gcc 3.5 will improve this.

Post a reply to this message