POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray optimization on G5 : Re: Povray optimization on G5 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 12:45:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray optimization on G5
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Feb 2005 12:37:59
Message: <42026177@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>     But that's most likely the compiler is not good enough for the G5 yet.

gcc has always been very poor at compiling PowerPC code, it is still at
least 10% slower than CodeWarrior when targeting the same processor.  The
CodeWarrior builds cannot use PPC 970 (aka G5) optimisation settings yet
because CodeWarrior does not support them yet.  So it is actually a PPC 7450
build that outperforms the gcc PPC 970 build.  It is not unreasonable to
expect the the CodeWarrior build would get another 10% faster if explicitly
targeting the PPC 970.  Not to mention, there is still at least a 5%
overhead for the official GUI version.

>  > The Mac OSX GUI Version is somewhat (~2min) faster. Was it compiled
> with gcc?
>  > I assume not!
>
>     Thorsten will better answer than me, but the speed increase may also
> be due to the Mac-specific just-in-time compiler that is used for the
> function
> virtual machine, and that you don't get with the Unix version.

No, that has pretty much zero influence on the benchmark result (10 to 20
seconds, which is almost below the error threshold).

	Thorsten